St. Kitts and Nevis (WINN): A candle may have been the cause of the fire that took the life of a well known Sandy Point resident Tuesday evening (Mar 14).
According to an official report from the Fire and Rescue Services, the Sandy Point outpost responded to a report of a fire at around 7:15 pm. Upon arrival at Farm Site, the officers met a small wooden house already completely engulfed in flames.
The officers set to work extinguishing the blaze, however the house and its contents were completely destroyed.
Fire Chief Everette O’garro told WINN FM that when officers combed through the debris, they discovered the lifeless body of 45-year-old Hyacinth Williams, known to friends as Juggle or Poodle.
The woman’s charred body was discovered on a mattress in an area of the residence used as a bedroom.
The victim’s partner 69-year-old Vance Brown was also inside the home when the fire started, but had been rescued from the burning house by neighbors.
He reportedly told authorities that they had been using a candle for light when it fell on the bed and a fire started. He said he tried to put out the fire but it began to spread out of control and so he attempted to get out. Based on the fact that Williams’ body was still on the bed, it appeared she may not have woken up during the fire.
Fire Chief O'garro said the Police Crime Scene Unit processed the scene and an investigation will be conducted into the circumstances of the fire.