St Kitts and Nevis (WINN): Prime Minister Timothy Harris has described as abominable, an attack on two women in Nevis which left one of them dead and the other injured and hospitalized.
Twenty-eight year old Morella Webbe died following the hail of bullets that targeted her and 34 year old Sonia Grant.
The women had reportedly left a popular entertainment spot after attending bingo and were driving home when unknown assailants, said to have been trailing them, opened fire on the car.
In a statement on what he described as the senseless, tragic killing of Morella Webbe and the injuries sustained by Sonia Grant, Prime Minister Harris gave an assurance that justice will be done.
The Prime Minister said the Team Unity administration condemns “this abhorrent, barbaric act”.
He called on “those with any information to contact the Royal St. Christopher and Nevis Police Force directly, indirectly or anonymously, to ensure that justice is meted out swiftly for the sake of the victims, their families and loved ones, as well as for the safety and security of us all”.
Dr Harris said in his statement that the fatal shooting incident serves as a reminder that there is need for a holistic approach to stamp out violent crime.
He said it is “incumbent on the nation to stand with our law and security officers because they stand up for us each and every day on the frontlines in the war on crime”.
Reports indicate the early Monday morning shooting incident took place around 3:45 am in Cotton Ground.
The matter is under investigation.
Webbe’s shooting death takes to seven, the number of homicides recorded for the year so far in St Kitts and Nevis.