Opposition will not break boycott for special sitting of Parliament
- Published on Thursday, 21 November 2013 13:27
- Written by Toni Frederick
- Hits: 2917
St. Kitts and Nevis (WINN): The Federal Opposition will not attend next week’s special sitting of Parliament to honour outstanding teens. Emphasizing that a formal statement on the matter would be issued, Opposition Leader Mark Brantley told WINN FM Thursday that he and his Parliamentary colleagues fully supported the nation's youth, but could not on principle, break their boycott.
"It is not a question of the sitting being important. Certainly we...a majority sitting in Opposition together, we honour and cherish our youth, and I am certain that there are many ways to demonstrate that short of going into Parliament...short of allowing this minority Prime Minister from using the Parliamentary process and the halls of Parliament to make a political statement," he said during an interview on WINN FM's Breakfast Show.
"As an Opposition and as the legitimate elected majority in the country, we're saying very clearly to our youth that we continue to support them in every way, and we will continue in government to provide every opportunity for them to advance themselves and advance the country...and there will be no stronger voice and no stronger government insofar as the youth are concerned that the Unity Construct and the Unity Movement," Brantley said.
A regular sitting of Parliament has been scheduled for next Tuesday (November 26, 2013) and the Special Sitting to honour the 2013 Most Remarkable Teens, slated for Wednesday evening.
Last year, Members of the Opposition participated in the Special Sitting, presenting the bios of and the awards to some of the teens.
"We would want to go on record as congratulating our remarkable teens...but we as an Opposition will shortly issue something formally...in relation to the rules, the mechanisms that have now been put in place, the machinations of the Speaker and the Prime Minister to use the Parliament...for every other purpose other than the Motion of the Confidence."
The Opposition is boycotting the Parliament in protest of the now nearly one year delay in the tabling of a Motion of No Confidence in the Denzil Douglas led Administration.
"We will not be part of any scheme to further the erosion of our democratic and Parliamentary principles," the Opposition Leader said.
According to Mr. Brantley, the formal statement on the decision to continue the boycott would be issued on Friday.
Click below to hear full item
Top Local Stories
Most Read - July 2015
WINN FM Evening News - 4th July, 2015
- The Bigger Picture with Ken Richards June 21st, 2015
-The Operating Room - 23rd June, 2015