(V. I Consortium) ST. THOMAS — An incident that occurred just before 11:00 p.m. on Saturday night at a McDonald’s restaurant in Sugar Estate here left one suspect dead after engaging in a shootout with police, and two other suspects with minor injuries, V.I.P.D. Public Information Officer Glen Dratte announced late Sunday. Police Commissioner Delroy Richards had previously told The Consortium that there were four suspects, three of which were in custody and the fourth, shot by police, had succumbed to his wounds.
The commissioner said the deceased suspect was killed after firing at police.
“Unfortunately, when you become bold enough to become involved in criminal actions like that, you have to be prepared to suffer the consequences,” Mr. Richards said. “My guys responded and they did what they were trained to do as professionals.”
Three armed Hispanic suspects stormed the McDonald’s restaurant in Sugar Estate to rob the establishment, consequently holding hostage several customers who were dining, according to the V.I.P.D.
Police were alerted of the robbery while it was ongoing, and immediately responded by hustling to the scene. Upon their arrival, police observed the suspects and surrounded the area, Mr. Richards said. An exchange of gunfire between at least one of the suspects and police officers ensued, which ultimately led to the death of the suspect. Mr. Richards said none of the customers dining at the McDonald’s restaurant were injured during the ordeal.