Charlestown, Nevis: A contingent from the officials in charge of preparation for the Caribbean Union of Teachers athletics meet gave a progress report on NTV’s Sports Menu program on Wednesday May 2.
Present were: Mrs. Josette Myers-PRO for the NTU; Ms Ercia Blake-second vice president of the NTU; Mr. Kurvin Wallace-one of the coaches and Ms Tricia Williams, member of the fundraising committee.
During the interview it was pointed out that the games have been shifted from the original venue in the Bahamas to Jamaica.
The organizing committee has been working overtime in preparing the athletes who range from between ages 8 to 15. Quite a number of those in training are products of the very exciting 2012 Inter Primary championships but some are from the early forms in the Secondary Schools.
In light of the goal to raise $100,000 in order to send at least 20 athletes and officials to the meet, several fundraising initiatives have already been put in place and there are some still upcoming which the general public is being asked to be a part of.
Thus far, there has been a $1.00 tag sale throughout the island and it was reported that one kind gentleman donated $50.00 for his tag and indicated that if it was surpassed by anyone, he would double the donation of that individual. There was also a very successful meet for the athletes, which served the duo purpose of practice for the athletes and also as a fundraiser.
Upcoming events include the following:
- May 5th—Car wash at Horsfords Valu Mart starting at 8am—cost $20.00 and upwards for persons to get a sparkling clean vehicle—inside and out
- May 11th—Hot dog day in all Primary Schools at a cost of $7.00
- May 19th—Boat ride to St. Maarten via the Lady Mignon at a cost of $350.00 per person. Individuals will be allowed a maximum of two barrels without extra charges.
- May 19th---Pre Whit party at Rumours Bar and Grill from 10 pm until—lots of food, drinks and dancing
- May 26th Prince and Princess show at 6:30 pm. However, the children will be paraded in Charlestown on the afternoon of May 18th
- June 2nd—Trial meet at the ET Willet Park
- June 23rd—Gospel Concert at the Gingerland Secondary School’s auditorium at 7 pm
- June 30th –a dance—venue TBA
- TBA—Fun day at the Villa grounds
- There is also an ongoing raffle for a 1st prize of a Blackberry 8520 phone and 2nd prize of a blender. The raffle will be drawn on the evening of the Prince and Princess show
There are over 40 athletes currently in training and the squad will be reduced in the coming weeks. The general public is asked to note the names of the members of the squad as their parents have been given the green light to solicit donations via sponsor cards:
- Maude cross Prep—Carlon Tuckett; Amani Williams; Lamya Pollard
- Charlestown Primary—Jule Scarborough; Akadianto Willet; Kamari Newton; Jadan Liburd; Shaniqua Warner; Shanae Grant; D’atryell Stanley; Macarius Francis; Kurvella Wallace
- St.Thomas’ Primary—Sidondre Flemming; Marcus Duberry; Geval Wallace; Cileen Hendrickson; Thyssen O’Flaherty; Tineisha Perkins; Kai Davis
- Joycelyn Liburd Primary—Riancia Maynard; Tijarie Arthurton; Leroy Chapman; Jeneisy Dore; Kejahno Williams; Tinari Kelly
- Elizabeth Pemberton Primary—Steffon Collison; Azelliah Percival
- Ivor Walters Primary—Tangela Dunrod; Brithany Lucius; Roberto Chapman
- VOJN—Alex Browne; Tamyra Jeffers
- ST.James’ Primary—Correncia Hamilton; Annique Nisbett
- CSS—Cejae Farrell; Tah-j Liburd; Rasheem Frazer; Uniqueko Willet; Diquala Maynard; Monique Daniel
- GSS—Jovarnee Somersall; Deondre Somersall
The general public is asked to give generously in order to ensure that the athletes get the well deserved opportunity to excel on the regional stage. The meet is set for the 20th and 21st July.